Easy staging tips
Wikipedia defines home staging as “Home staging is the act of preparing a private residence for sale in the real estate marketplace. The goal of staging is to make a home appealing to the highest number of potential buyers, thereby selling a property more swiftly and for more money. Staging techniques focus on improving a property’s appeal by transforming it into a welcoming, attractive product that anyone might want. People usually use arts, painting, accessories, lights, greenery, and carpet to stage the home, to give potential buyers a more attractive first impression of the property” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_staging
While you can hire a professional home staging company and get some great tips from your Real Estate representative (like me!) there are many small things you can do to make your home more presnatable for photos and for viewings by potential buyers. While a full home staging can be a time consuming process, these quick tips will help to make your home more marketable in a quick easy manner.
- Speed clean de-clutter – a cluttered home looks untidy so a quick tidy up does wonders to improve the looks of your home. Take plastic bins and place any out of place items to cut down the clutter. Also you may want to remove personal photos as this can distract potential buyers from visualizing themselves in the home and their own personal stamp on the home. You can replace the photos with inexpensive art.
- Wipe down surfaces – wiping down surfaces takes a few seconds a day but goes a long way to keep your home sparkling and fresh.
- Sweep and/or vacuum – keeping your floors clean helps to build value in the potential buyers mind. A clean home usually means a well maintained home.
- Empty trash cans – emptying the trash – especially open containers is a quick fix to a cleaner looking home
- Fluff the pillows/make the bed – getting a fresh hotel-room effect from plumping your pillows every morning breathes new life into your rooms. An untidy bed thought the look of a bedroom off dramatically.
- Hide your laundry basket – hide it somewhere where your dirty clothes won’t be seen
- Clear your fridge door – de junking your fridge door makes your whole kitchen seem less cluttered and improves the look of the appliance itself
- Buy fresh flowers – this adds a splash of colour and brightens a room as well as adding an element of freshness